Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Church meeting Devotions: Faithbook

2 John 1:12 I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete.

Recently, I joined Facebook. I really enjoy reading what other people are up to each day and sending them words of encouragement and laughter in the comments section. It’s a wonderful way of keeping in contact with friends, both near and far.

For instance, many years ago in Maybole, Scotland my best friend Dave was killed in a car accident. I was absolutely devastated and my heart was broken for his wife and three young children. A couple of years later, the family emigrated to South Africa. I wondered what would ever become of them, and with me moving to America, I thought I would never know.

Then along comes Facebook and within a matter of weeks, I’m “friends” with all of Dave’s children. I now get to see and read what they’re doing and how they’re feeling. It’s remarkable. I now feel as though the world is a much smaller place and I love the sharing that takes place on Facebook. It’s like being part of a cosmopolitan village.

When John was writing his letters, he valued his contacts immensely. He was a busy man, but he wanted to see, greet, and meet people face to face. I think if he was alive today, John would be reaching out to folk across the world using Facebook. I think he would love the personal daily contacts.

That’s what I like about our faith, too. Christ can be so personal to each one of us when we let Him into our hearts. His deep and intimate friendship allows us to be guided by God and embraced by the Holy Spirit. Christ’s personal and abiding interest in our individual lives can be a great source of encouragement, assurance, and comfort. With Him deeply connected to our lives, our joy on earth, as John writes, can be complete.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for allowing us to freely come to You, so that we may be completely reconnected and restored to God. May our lives become faith-books that can be read by other people, so that they may also seek to reconnect their lives to You. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment