Friday, June 26, 2009

Church Meeting Devotions: Godspell Goodies

Psalm 5:11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

I went to our Youth Players opening night of Godspell last evening and I was amazed at the energy, joy, and enthusiasm of all of the young people involved. Godspell has some great songs and is a perfect vehicle to relate the scriptures to a modern audience, but the way our kids have updated the material is fantastic.

Creative Expressions and theater ministry have become important hallmarks of our church and more families are becoming involved in the life, work, and ministry of our congregation. As I watched the young people on stage, as well as those working the sound system and the spotlights, I was just blown away by their creativity and commitment to one another. Sometimes I worry about the future of the church and our faith; and then when I see these youngsters perform, all my anxieties melt away.

I think I understand what the psalmist meant when he wrote that those who take refuge in God will ever sing for joy. At last night’s Godspell performance, I experienced that same joyful feeling.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for our young people and for the new ways, works, and words that they will express and use to carry faith to the world. They are a wonderful blessing to our churches and we pray that You will continue to inspire and excite them through the creative presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment