Monday, May 3, 2010

Church Meeting Devotions: Breaking the Silence - Psalm 39 v 2

Psalm 39:2      But when I was silent and still, not even saying anything good, my anguish increased.

There are days when I worry about the state of the Church. I don’t mean the congregation that I serve (although I do have worrying days about it, too); I’m writing about the Presbyterian Church in general.

We seem to have lost our sense of direction because less people are becoming Presbyterians across the world. It’s almost as if we’ve reached the end of the line and that the Spirit of God has no current or future use for Presbyterians. We seem to be more driven by the culture than Christ. We appear to be shaped by what’s fashionable instead of being faithful.

I’ve tried to be quiet about this and not be overcome by zeal or emotions. But being impassive about the current church crisis doesn’t get us anywhere, and more and more Presbyterians seem to be going nowhere fast. In the past, I’ve blamed it on seminary training or generational culture, but in my heart I feel as though it’s something more: it’s about preaching, teaching, and living the truth. It all comes down to accepting Christ in our hearts and applying His words to our ways.

I don’t want to come across as being self-righteous or fiercely zealous. I am far from perfect and a terrible sinner. But I love being a Presbyterian Christian and my hearts bleeds for Presbyterians everywhere. I want to be part of a movement that can positively turn the tide and help Presbyterians become effective and influential again. I honestly believe that Presbyterians have the capacity to win the hearts and minds of post-modern people for Christ. If only we would stop shooting ourselves in the foot!

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, thank You for the rich history of Presbyterianism throughout the world. We pray that You will allow an outpouring of Your Holy Spirit to be experienced by all of us, so that we can effectively and powerfully represent Your Message, Gospel, and Kingdom. Grant us the courage to speak out against what is wrong and stand up for what is right. In Your Holy Name, we faithfully pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is John’s latest drawing called Summer Pond. You can view a larger version online at the following link: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3603/4567015382_9a7de36909_b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment