Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Short devotions: October Skies - Matthew 2:10

Today’s Bible readings:   Isaiah 9:16-21   & Matthew 2:7-12

Matthew 2:10  When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.

I love October skies, especially at night. The sky is filled with a plethora of stars and galaxies on cloudless evenings. Every time I look up, I am in awe of God’s creative power and my heart is filled with joy because I know that the One who made the stars also made me.

Some people talk about us being made from the dust of former stars. I even watched a program recently on television where this was constantly being expressed. I guess scientists and astronomers are enamored by this, but for people of faith, we can go one better: we are not just made of stardust, we are created by the Starmaker Himself.

Tonight, I’ll probably look at the stars again and take delight in recognizing shapes and constellations, planets and galaxies that I have known since I was a young boy in Scotland. But I’ll also take extra delight in knowing that I am a child of God’s grace, created to enjoy His wonders, as well as being eternally saved by His glorious Son.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, thank You for the gift of grace and reconciliation that You bought with Your Life for all of Creation. You have restored the blessedness of all things that God has made and we look forward to the Great Day when You will return to reclaim Your people. Be with us this day and night. Grant us the delight of seeing God’s work in the world and universe. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is one of John’s Psalm drawings. It depicts a verse from Psalm 33 where God is said to have breathed out the stars. You can view a larger version of the drawing by clicking on the following link: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3249875950_c61fc2c8f3_b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment