Thursday, July 10, 2014

Opening devotion: Constantly Amazed - 1 Kings 8:27

1 Kings 8:27   Solomon said, “But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!”

            God often amazes me. In the littlest things like a blade of grass, I see His handiwork. In the vastness of space and the colossal starry sky, I recognize His hallmarks of creation. In the people I love, I see His image constantly before me. In the work of the church I serve, I watch for His ways. Every day is a special gift from His goodness, so no matter how I feel, what I am experiencing, or what I face, I still find sacred seconds in which He just plainly and truthfully amazes me.

            My mind cannot contain the infinite wisdom and boundless glory that is God’s. My heart overflows with His love because it cannot be kept personally within me. He makes me glad to be one of His creatures and He makes me proud to be a child of His. I know that I do not deserve such goodness and love, or His compassion and mercy, but I am joyful at knowing these beautiful blessings. Sometimes my heart is fit to burst with God’s overwhelming love; in those sacred moments, I wish that the whole world could be filled with the same feelings.

            Ages ago, when King Solomon had completed the building of the First Temple in Jerusalem, he knew that God could not be contained with the bricks and mortar of a mere building. However, Solomon understood the symbolism of God’s dwelling with humanity and felt humbled by God’s favor on his people. It must have been a glorious and sacred day for all of God’s people.

            The older I get, the more that I realize that because God is gracious, He allows His Spirit to reside on this paltry planet we call Earth. Humanity does not deserve such a blessing because of our broken and sinful ways, but the love of God persists in the midst of all the evil in the world. We are still His people. We are still His children. We are still loved and never alone.

The infinite God abiding in a finite planet – this is what constantly and will always amaze me.

Questions for personal reflection

Where do I see God’s handiwork around me today? When do I feel His love in my life?

Prayer:            Lord God, You have created the entire universe with its vast array of galaxies, solar systems, stars and planets. You have also made the tiniest of things like atoms, cells, seeds, and people. Thank You for the wonders of creation that are all around us, which constantly amaze us. And we especially thank You for Your deep and abiding loving presence which will always gladden our hearts and give meaning to our lives. In Your Holy Name, we cheerfully pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment or ask a question about today’s message, please send him an email to Traqair@aol.com.


Today’s image is one of John’s Psalm pictures which depicts God as Creator. If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: Psalm 115.


No comments:

Post a Comment